When baby is ill on holiday

It's a troubling time when your baby or children are ill at the best of times, let alone when you are on a family holiday abroad.  Here we have tried to provide some guidance as to what might be available to you if your baby is ill on holiday.  Find information on medicines for buying medicine in Germany, visiting a doctor in Germany and emergency help available in Germany.

Needing to buy medicines in Germany

Supermarkets and shops don't sell medicines, so if you need anything for your baby, child or you, you'll need to visit a pharmacy (apotheke).   In major towns, the pharmacist will probably speak some English.  If the nearest Apotheke is closed, a notice on the door will tell you which is the nearest one offering a 24 hour service.  

Visiting a Doctor in Germany

Baby with stethoscope and teddyIf you apply for an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) you will be entitled to the same level of public health care as German nationals.  Click here for more information on applying for an EHIC.


Your holiday rep, or the nearest pharmacy, should be able to direct you to a doctors.  Take your passport and EHIC with you.  Note that the EHIC may not cover all the medical costs and you will require family travel insurance as well.


Download our PDF form for visiting a doctor in Germany with your baby or child.  It is highly likely that a doctor you visit will speak some form of English.  However, to be sure, this is a form that you can use if visiting a German only speaking doctor.   You can complete it with your child's information, symptoms, etc., and the doctor can communicate what, if any, medicine your child needs and any other action needed. 

Emergency Help in Germany

Call 112 for an ambulance, police or the firebrigade.  You should be able to speak to an english speaker. 

More information

Next information page: Car seat regulations in Germany